Pages

Circus Trains

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Traveling by train is one of my favorite ways to get around. Living in the states, that particular form of transportation is rarely a cost-effective and efficient way to travel from one place to another. Even though I've traveled on many trains abroad, when I think about the rail here in the US, it reminds me of a period in time long before iphones and hybrid cars.

It's no secret I am a fan of old timey circus, especially aerial, equestrian and trapeze costumes from the 1940's and 50's. I mean, look how cute these costumes are!


Hemadas troupe | July 21, 1950 | Ringling Barnum Circus
 
Thanks to Circus Historical Society and Buckles Blog, I have the opportunity to peer into the past and daydream of running away with a circus. At the risk of sounding like a total geek, some of my favorite photos of yesteryear are those of the trains. I blame the movie Water for Elephants for romanticizing train life or maybe it's the #trainlife hashtag on instagram, not really sure...


RBBB Clowns | photo: Dar-Zack Studio Labs via Historic Circus Photos Denver | 1979

RBBB Train Yard | photo: Stanley Kubrick | 1948


 RBBB Cook House Wagons (not necessarily trains but still a cool peak behind the big top) 
photo: Collection Milner Library | 1954

I recently had a discussion with a friend about the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey (RBBB)  train. She lives next to the train tracks and sees the RBBB train come through town every year around this time. I was happy to hear that she gets as excited as I do about it. Last year, I was stopped by the train on E Colonial and while I'm usually impatient (read: annoyed) with that sort of thing, I was totally delighted to have the opportunity to see the circus train pull into town. I know it's kind of strange to say and highly unlikely to ever happen, but one day I hope to ride the RBBB train on one of their runs between cities. It's one of the only things I actually have on my bucket list of life. I'm more of a nomad in spirit rather than in practice, but the idea of criss-crossing the country on a train sounds like a great adventure and I'd jump at the opportunity if I was given the chance. (Side note: I have been bugging my husband about buying an RV and traveling the country for years now and will continue to bug him about it until he breaks haha.)

I came across this video recently, and no idea why, but I think it's super cute to see this mile long train riding into Penn Station:



Maybe one day I'll be one of those people waving out the window as we cruise on by!

Disclaimer: I've been a vegetarian for 14 years so, yes I'm aware of the history of circus and animals and no, I'm not interested in discussing it or any commentary regarding that matter.


1 comment :

  1. Love these pics!!! Thank you for sharing on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |