Pages

2014 Flying Trapeze Goals

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Today is my birthday and my original plan of flying in the morning has been foiled by the rain so since I can't actually do trapeze, I might as well just talk about it. (and then go treat myself to a mani/pedi)

Before I dive into my 2015 flying trapeze goals, I might as well review my 2014 goals (or somewhat lack there of).


I never really laid out my flying goals for 2014. It was difficult to really pin point what I wanted to accomplish because in reality I just wanted to do it all. I started off this year in a plateau, I was working on back end tricks but my swing was atrocious and it felt like I was just going through the motions but never really improving. I suppose my subconscious goal was really just to breakthrough the plateau and become a more advanced flyer. 

Looking back, this year was for improving my technique and ultimately locking down my return to the board. I drilled my half turn and turn around swing for so many months just to properly understand the mechanics of the return from hands. The half turn may not have been a very flashy trick to have worked on FOR MONTHS but it was certainly an important one and critical to my skills development. 

Goal #1 - RETURNS TO THE BOARD
Being someone who prefers flying without lines, I never really worked on the return in lines. So the first time I actually returned to the board, it was unassisted by the lines puller and was a result of the many hours dedicated to learning proper technique and at hands of my amazing catcher.

I had my first round trip to the board on July 7th when I was out in California, flying in the mountains. And just in case you're wondering, it was just as picturesque as it sounds:


It was the final day of my vacation and we squeezed in some morning flying before breakfast (if you know these guys, you'd be surprised they were awake, let alone flying by 8am). It was a really special moment and the pinnacle of months of blood, sweat and tears (literally and figuratively). As I took the trip across, I was surrounded by the three people who had coached, supported and pushed me along on the journey to catch and return back to the board: Rob was catching, Efe dropped my bar and scooped me along with Alex (trapeze Alex, not hubby Alex). I managed to catch and return a few more times that day. I don't have video, but here is photo from another catch that week.


So now that I am retuning (fairly) consistently, one of my goals for the remainder of the year is to really polish up my return. I would love to have the goal of no missed bars, but I know that is just unrealistic. I will be focusing on the three following items: nail down the timing in-hands so I pop and turn high and on time, staying tight at the turn without twisting at the waist and remounting the board with ease and grace. I love being in-hands, it's one of my favorite parts of flying trapeze, I will rarely turn down the opportunity to catch. So I'm looking forward to making improvements on how I work in-hands so catching can be as smooth and seamless to both myself and my catcher. Catching and returning to the board out of lines is really when things start getting next level in my opinion. I may never be a flyer in a show, but I would love to look as beautiful and as flawless as a professional flyer.

In general I need to continue focusing on staying tight and cleaning up my flying, which brings me to my next goal, the swing.

Goal #2 - The Swing
They say the swing is the hardest thing you'll learn in trapeze. While I'm sure triples and double twisting layouts are indeed VERY difficult, the swing is tied to just about every trick and we're always on the hunt to make it stronger, higher and more powerful. My swing is ever-evolving, as I fix one thing I then have to work to fix something else that needs readjusting as a result. I hear the swing is a lifelong journey and so be it. 

I recently had a breakthrough on my force out, which is improving the front end of my swing and gaining me height but now I need to adjust what is happening on the back end. I still need to work on timing, forcing out faster and sweeping longer.

I really want my swing to be long, powerful and beautiful by the end of the year. Even if it's not perfect (not that there is such a thing), I am committed to having straight legs that are zipped up from toes to torso, feet that are pointed all the way through the toes. I need to SQUEEZE EVERYTHING TIGHT.

The two above goals will be on-going until I get to a point where muscle memory can take over and the above items just happen naturally.

Goal #3 - Tricks: Cutaway and Layout
This year I worked on my nemesis, the layout, and caught it, but that trick is still very inconsistent. I want to learn to love throwing layouts, but all they do is cause me endless amounts of frustration at the moment. Right now, even if it has to remain in safety lines, I just want to be able to throw it smoothly without traveling by the end of the year.

Since the layout has been a thorn in my side, I had decided to give that trick some rest for a bit and start working on a cutaway. My goal is to ultimately work up to a cutaway half. (hello 2015 goal!) I may never be able to throw a double cutaway half (two back flips with a half twist) like my trapeze idol, Terry Cavaretta, but if I can make the cutaway half "my trick", I'll be pretty damn happy. We are starting me on working the cutaway so I can understand the mechanics and gain a strong foundation before adding in the half twist. My goal is to catch my cutaway by the end of the year. So far progress is slow, but I feel pretty confident I'll get there within the next few weeks. I just received motivation on this goal via a birthday gift in the form of a cutaway stick handmade by my catcher best friend Boston Rob.


Thank you Roberto, we will catch my cutaway when I visit you after the new year. I also want to play around with a reverse gazelle and anything else fun we an think of to do. Anyone have any suggestions for other novelty tricks please leave me a comment below. :)

So there you have it, my 2014 goals...



8 comments :

  1. nice goals and nice stick, stinky!! i'm gonna put your goals into my magic book along with Jen's and my own so i can cheer you on!

    i too *love* being in hands and love all that you wrote about returns, especially out of lines and especially 'remounting the board with ease and grace.' i remount, but it ain't pretty ;) i'd like to really work my 1/2 turn as well for awhile for the same reasons. if only i could be swinging 3-4x a week. something to plant in the universe, right?

    what's your journey been like with your swing? would love to hear the story behind your forceout breakthrough! i only practice my swing at cotton candy club and it needs a lot of work. my 7 is pretty crappy too, been hard for me to get my hips forward like i need to. but i want to get a point where my swing builds instead of peters out. kill and build, baby...feels so far away right now.

    we have a few people working on a cutaway half and it's been mentioned it is the same feeling as a roundoff (if that's helpful to you and if nobody's mentioned that to you yet). that looks like a superfun trick.

    i tried to subscribe to your blog but i'm either doing something wrong or your settings won't let me. help help help :)

    oxoxoxo
    cc ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey CC! Thanks for letting me know about the subscribe feature, it looks like there are some things not working properly on this blog, I need to do a little digging to figure out what's going on.

    My returns are a definite work in-progress. Right now I'm trying to do less to get more out of them, I have a tendency to over-effort sometimes and it ends up being counter-productive because the timing is off. I was recently asked to the hollow out and just stay flat after the force out in-hands (before a long kick back) and that seems to be working well. I swear flying trapeze is practically a living, breathing thing, no two days on the rig ever feel the same and ooohhhh can it be moody!

    I'm not particularly happy with my swing at the moment, it still needs a lot of work. I was (am) having trouble gaining height with my force out. I always felt like I was really fighting gravity on the force out, by the time I could get my feet up, I was already too late in my swing. I know that I wanted to ball up for my force out but just could never really get my hips up. I received the advice to keep a somewhat closed shoulder angle and think to pull the bar down to my hips. That seemed to help a bit to get my hips up but it still wasn't right. Then, as a friend was explaining his force out to me, he physically leaned back as he mimicked the ball up in his swing. At that point it clicked with me that I was trying to manipulate only my lower body when bringing my legs up to my chest, which was making it a ridiculous ab work out on the front end. So next time I went up, I initiated the ball up by leaning my shoulders back and BAM, not only did my legs float up so much easier, but I was kicking up to the sky rather than towards the catch trap. My swing still needs work but I'm gaining more height now, which is nice.

    I haven't heard that a cutaway half feels like a round off but I can totally envision that. Right now I'm not twisting at all, but I'll keep that in mind when I finally add in the "half".

    Flying 3-4 days a week would be nice. I would love to go to a retreat/intensive weekend sometime. Have you been to Richie's memorial weekend intensive? I would love to include some serious training into my schedule for next year, even if it's just a week to go somewhere and training for a few hours a day. Hopefully I'll be back in California for at least a week as well. If I am, we're totally flying together! ;)

    xo spg

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Luk, I'm just testing the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya! You're ON for flying when you come out here, I will even see if I can manage to take a day off of work as well! :)

    I never thought about leaning back on the force out with respecting to 'balling up.' Definitely food for thought for me and thank you for explaining! I'm still a little stuck back at fixing my '7.' I know I can work on both at the same time but you know how it goes when you try to fix multiple things at once. I just started trying to put the 'pull' in as well; I know for a fact I am doing it too late. I'm not super happy with my swing at the moment either so I've been happy about getting some basic swinging in at CCC when the opportunity is there.

    Intensive: that's all you gotta say and I'm there! I was super new to trapeze and only flying one time a week approaching Memorial Day, but I told Richie - I don't think I could stand it if I knew there were three full days of flying going on and I wasn't there! So he gave me the green light and I was soooo happy! Any of my videos where I am wearing black and having someone hold me back was probably over Memorial Day weekend. I was really, really still struggling with my takeoff but I finally got to take a swing OOL that weekend for the first time. I really can't wait to do another one. I know flying three days in a row helped me grow immensely. (Shockingly, I didn't rip - although I guess I'm not really throwing tricks that are hard enough just yet to rip, and knock-on-wood I don't have an overly big problem with ripping like some people do. Yet.) Do you plan to come out for the next one provided he has it???? If so, WE ARE GOING TO DISNEYLAND too!!! I go for free (I think I mentioned this to Jen) because I have a silver pass with work so I can take you and a couple of other people and we can park hop.

    oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying and Disneyland sound amazing, I'm so down!! I would love to go to Richie's intensive weekend but it really just depends on how my summer ends up panning out. I'll definitely be in Cali for a bit, but not sure when or for how long. I'll keep you posted on any plans as they develop.

      I'm really impressed you didn't rip after an intensive flying weekend or really rip at all. I have a tendency to rip from over-gripping but it's been a while now. Flying regularly again and building back up my calluses has helped, I think. I fly with grips too. I currently use US Glove palm guards, but I'm thinking of possibly investing in dowels in the next year. The problem is that I don't really want dowels because I like feeling the bar and feeling my catcher. I think I saw you in grips, which do you use?

      Getting that really nice 7 position is so tough. I really struggled with that as well. I have a BAD habit of pushing the bar down in my 7, it's one I've been mindfully trying to break for months now.

      Delete
  5. yes, would love to see you, keep me posted :)
    i was surprised i didn't rip either, but i don't seem to have an issue with that just yet. i'm grateful for that. i use ginnasta rookie grips, and like you - i also really like feeling the bar and the catcher. i'd personally prefer to not wear grips at all but i'm very sure i WOULD rip if i didn't wear them. Richie also makes grips that are pretty awesome, by hand. i switched to the ginnasta only to not be a pain by asking him to make them for me constantly and also for the same reason that eventually i might consider dowels so i wanted to get a sense of what leather vs. fabric was going to feel like. a lot of old school videos though don't show the performers wearing any grips, so my conclusion is that maybe you don't actually need them?!! what do i know :) LOL!
    yeah, i don't know why i struggle so much with that 7. you'd think it would be a simple fix, right? the only thing that's made a difference is having Dayna and others watch me like a hawk when we just practice basic swinging. she had me tuck my bum under and that greatly improved it, but it's still intermittent and i have a long ways to go with my swing. i feel like my swing has gotten better but it's still a MESS. Richie pulled me aside yesterday and had me do some swings/beats on the low bar. he's like 'you have the shoulder and back flexibility so there's no reason you can't sweep back harder and fuller.' yikes! he's right! i have issues!
    re: pushing down the bar - have you tried look at the TOP BAR of the rig, over the catch bar? it may feel a little weird to be looking that high, but i've seen a few people fix their positioning in their 7 that way (myself included).

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |