Pages

2015 Flying Trapeze (Goals) Wishlist

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Well guys, 2015 is rapidly approaching and while I'm not really one to make new years resolutions, I am someone who makes lists and who really enjoys planning ahead. My fly gals from across the states and across the pond have inspired me to put together my flying trapeze goals for 2015. Truth be told, as someone who does not like admitting defeat, it does make me nervous to post my goals for everyone to see (what happens if I just can't get that damn layout out of lines and on my own timing?!) But being a part of such an amazing, supportive community, I know that we will cheer each other on when we're getting frustrated and push each other to keep trying when we feel like giving up. We'll virtual hug and high five and celebrate our victories together and inspire each other to keep flying high and reaching for the (shooting) stars.

Disclaimer: all new skills/tricks will be under the guidance and advisement of my coaches. Anything on this list may change as we check-in with my flying throughout the year. I will continue working my skills and tricks just as I always have, really focusing on the mechanics and building a strong foundation. I will work tirelessly until I'm told I'm ready to move on to something else. That being said, this is my wishlist for 2015.

Goal #1 - Swinging and Returning
As I mentioned in my 2014 goals, I will continue working on my swing and returns in 2015 (and beyond).

To recap the return, I will continue working on: the timing in-hands, staying tight at the turn without twisting at the waist and remounting the board gracefully.

To recap the swing, I will continue working on: timing of the kicks, forcing out faster and sweeping longer, straight legs that are zipped up from toes to torso, feet that are pointed all the way through the toes. I will SQUEEZE EVERYTHING TIGHT.


Goal #2 - Layout Done and Done
The layout is a foundational skill, so I really need for it to become second nature. As I mentioned before, this trick and I are currently not friends, but I hope that we will become new besties for 2015. It's been a while since I've thrown a layout so without putting too much pressure on myself, I really would like to have this skill locked in 100% during the first half of the year. I want to have it out of lines and also have the trick on my own timing before the end of spring.

Goal #3 - Cutaway/Cutaway Half Done and Done
I'll continue working on the cutaway in tandem with the layout. Right now the focus is working on the cutaway and I really want to catch it by the end of 2014. (progress is slow but positive thinking you guys!) I've been having what we'll call a bit of a mental block with the release on this trick, but I feel like we made some real progress this past weekend and I'm excited to get back to the rig to work on it more this weekend. I'll continue working the cutaway until my coach, Efe, lets me know that I'm ready to add in the half twist and turn the cutaway into a cutaway half. Efe, if you're reading this, I hope to make you proud and turn that "yesss...yes....nooo...NO!!!" to straight up "YES!!!" from here on out. Even though things are a bit hairy at the moment, I'm really excited to work on this particular trick, because I would like the cutaway half to become one of my go-to tricks. (You guys should see how hot the tops of my feet look right now covered in bumps and bruises from the bar...I guess my foot modeling career is now as dead as my hand modeling career.) I would like to catch my cutaway half by the summer. And if everything goes smoothly, I would like to have it OOL and on my own timing by the end of the year. I know this may be a bit of a stretch, however, I hope to include some intensive training during the course of 2015.

Here's a really awesome example of a cutaway half (I am majorly swooning over his flying, check out his height over the platform and how beautiful and effortless he makes it look):




Goal #4 - Layout Full Twist
Let me just start by saying, this trick is not within my reach at the moment (or even close to being within my reach), but since this is my wishlist and I hope to eventually be able to do a layout full, here it is on the list. If you're unfamiliar with this particular trick it's just as it sounds, a layout with a full twist. Check out this really cool slow motion video of a full to catch by Gorilla Circus. (Seriously guys, go watch that video) I think I've watched that video about about 50 times by now, I'm just mesmerized by it. I couldn't figure out how to embed the video so here's a screen grab I took from it:





I know that once I get the layout dialed-in I will love throwing that trick. I really hope I enjoy twisting as well because I would love for the full to be another one of my go-to tricks. It would be nice to say that I would like to catch this skill in 2015, but I will just be happy if I start working it to the net in lines. Anything beyond that will be a sweet added bonus.

I've never been much of a trick collector. I would rather have a few really solid tricks, rather than a bunch of partially-mastered ones. So even though I only have the few items above on my list for 2015, it's still a pretty tough list of demands.

So there you have it, my 2015 wishlist. Now, let's go crush some goals!

10 comments :

  1. Yay for posting your goals for 2015! Damn right we're going to cheer each other on and be supportive and high five each other as 2015 progresses :D

    (I am refusing to refer to this as your wishlist; wishes are things that other grant you, while goals are something that you OWN with others to support you. Take ownership!)

    I am impressed by your inclination to concentrate on building a solid foundation over collecting tricks. I dedicate my overarching 2015 goal, consistency, to you my dear :)

    Roar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah girl! I definitely plan on owning all this. :) We can call them my goals, I feel like it's pretty much in line with what I've been working towards for quite some time now anyway. My real wish list is far longer and filled with dreamy tricks that will take me years to even be good enough to attempt haha). I'm dying to get back to the rig now to work more on my cutaway...I keep visualizing it, mentally preparing for the next time I'm up on the board.

      Eeeeeeee thanks for dedicating your overarching goal to me!! <3 Let's all work to make this our strongest and most consistent year yet!!

      How are things going with your double by the way? I need to comment on your blog post about that. I recently had a similar experience with trampoline. Sometimes we just need to get back to the basics and that's okay. I'm sure you'll get back to where you were in no time! :)

      GIANT ROAR from this side of the pond and this little corner of the States!!

      Delete
  2. Haha, now I feel like more of a trick collector!!! LOL!!!

    Great list. I like your goals for getting things OOL and I'm very impressed by your goal about having your own timing. There are some things that feel instinctive to me but I don't trust myself at all right now with my own timings.

    I think the three of us all have a date with the layout. It's gone beyond Ménage à Trois. It's getting real around here.

    I can't wait for the day to start working on a cutaway 1/2 and a full!!! YAY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!! So excited for you. And I agree with Jen - no 'wishlist' just be like Yoda - there is no try, only DO!

    RAWR from here too!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that video is in fact Li Pawson, I do not know him personally, but ERMAHGERD is he an amazing flyer! SWOOOOOOONNNNN

      Haha CC, well we all fly for our own personal reasons. I never really set out to polish up the tricks I know before moving on, I just followed the lead of my coaches and it's now the way I set up my personal benchmarks. Sometimes they have to reel me back in because I want to do everything (and NOW) and they feel like I'm not ready yet, which I totally understand and support. They're the experts!

      Since I work at the rig, I think my coaches goals for me might be different than with other students because of things like doing the demos in class for example. I started taking tricks out of lines for that purpose. It was a very long time before I even took my own timing for a knee hang. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with taking a trick on your own timing and especially if it's OOL. That is definitely not something you should even consider doing without the guidance of your coaches. I feel very nervous about taking anything on my own timing and I wait until I'm told I'm ready (and feel like I'm mentally ready). At this point I expect taking tricks OOL and on my timing will take much longer since the tricks are getting way more technical and dangerous, which I'm totally cool with. I love myself too much to rush anything and put myself in a position to injure or possibly kill myself. I got myself a little present of my own personal safety belt. I'm really excited and I can't wait until it arrives, which will be sometime next week hopefully.

      With that, I'll leave you with a little "overheard at trapeze" convo I had with my catcher friend about it...
      Flyer (me): I'm so excited! I'm getting my own custom trapeze safety belt!!
      Catcher (Rob): Why are you doing that? Aren't you usually trying to get out of wearing one?
      Flyer: .....sighhhh...yes....
      Catcher: ....well I guess they're a lot like condoms...no one wants to wear one...
      Flyer: ...but sometimes they're necessary for your own protection...

      hehe :P

      Delete
    2. LOL! Great "overheard at trapeze" convo. Oddly, I am also working on a safety belt too. Weird, eh?? It's supposed to get embroidered this week so I would imagine mine will come soon. Can't wait to see yours :)) How fun!!

      Yeah, timing for sure isn't something I feel comfortable messing with at this point. I do tend to self-correct without knowing it in my layouts, but then again - my layout always has ONE thing off that's different every time I throw it, and it ain't consistent - so I am certainly not the expert in that department. I do think I was blessed with some awareness of where I am in the air, and I do devote some of my Buddhist prayers toward cultivating that. However, the once or twice I've thrown a double for the hell of it I had no NO clue where I was at ALL.

      It's really important to me (as we've discussed in previous posts) to have coaches I trust. I particularly tend to rush things in general because I get so excited about the big buffet of things that are out there that we can do. So I think sometimes I have to help reel myself back in to Richie so I don't bite off more than I can chew before I am ready. I was almost born in the car (true story, my dad was running red lights on a Sunday morning) and the reminder that what we are doing has its dangers even with safety belts and good coaches is a great one :) Thank you for that! It kinda sounds like we both tend to - ahem, live exuberantly ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
    3. Hehe I was going to post that safety belt conversation in the Overheard at Trapeze fb group but never got around to it. That's pretty awesome you're working on a custom safety belt too! I'm going through Jackie, the gal that makes a lot of the fancy belts at Richie's...you don't happen to be getting a Jackie belt too?? How funny would it be if she's working on both of our belts at the moment?!

      It's really great that you have aerial awareness, for me it's something I develop over time. I love when I feel a trick coming together because I start to know where I am throughout the trick. I still don't really "see" anything after the drive in my layout...my eyes might as well be closed. haha!

      Yeah, it sounds like we are both very eager and passionate people. hehe no wonder we are drawn to the flying trapeze, it's a perfect outlet for our vivacious energy. =)

      Delete
    4. DUUUUUUUUUUUUDe, yes I am getting a belt from Jackie!!! wahoo!!!

      Delete
    5. That is hilarious and awesome!! I can't wait to share pics!!

      Delete
  3. ps. that looks like mr. li pawson in your video example. he has a gorgeous shooting star and uprise too - he gets so much height!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |